Pages



Sunday 28 June 2015

It's the simple things - the garden and mindfulness



Today I sat outside in the garden and absorbed the afternoon winter sun. It felt absolutely magical! The crispness of the air and the warm golden sun on my face. I closed my eyes and listened to all the sounds around me, willy wag tails calling out to each other, a dog barking in the distance, the flutter of a birds wings and the sound of the wind rustling in the trees. I have never felt so at peace.

Sitting in the garden has always had this effect on me, I guess in a way it's my own form of meditation. When I'm in the garden surrounded by nature I feel alive whilst at the same time so incredibly calm and content. My mind slows down and all the troubles of the day simply seem irrelevant. To me this is what real life is absorbing and feeling every bit of the present moment.

This form of 'meditation' is something that I've done my whole life but it wasn't till last year when I was introduced to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle* that I realised it had a name... mindfulness.

For example when you feel the sensation of the breeze on your face or watch the afternoon sun dance through the leaves and you allow yourself to be fully be in the present moment of just sitting in the garden with no distractions you are practising mindfulness. 

It was a fantastic afternoon and now I feel recharged, happy and ready for the week ahead! Do you feel the same when your in the garden? How do you practise mindfulness in your day?


Until next time stay mindful!


jen :p


*Eckhart Tolle is a German-born writer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher best known for his books The Power of Now and A New Earth.











No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished